When the liver is affected with the diseases that lead to end stage liver disease, it would require transplant and change the diseased liver with the new liver. The diseases that lead to the transplantation are:
- Primary Biliary Cirrhosis: This disease attacks the body because of the immune system of the body. The immune system attacks the bile ducts, considering it not as a native organ of the body, but as a foreign body.
- Hepatitis B/C: Infection with these viruses leads to liver failure over period of time requiring liver transplantation.
- Biliary Artesia: Bile duct malformation leads to inability of liver to transport bile from liver to gall bladder or intestine, the bile is stored in liver itself which leads to liver failure and requires liver transplantation.
- Wilson’s Disease: When copper is deposited in the entire body, the liver also will get affected from the copper deposits and will result in liver failure
- Liver Cancer: When the lever gets affected from the cancerous cells that have threat of spreading to the entire liver and even the surrounding organs, transplantation is demanded to remove the affected and spoiled part of the liver.
- Sclerosing Cholangitis: This disease cause’s failure of the liver, as the bile ducts present in and out of the liver get narrowed and scarred.
- Acute Liver Failure: In this condition there is rapid deterioration in liver functions to such an extent that survival is not possible without transplantation. Acetaminophen overdose, acute liver infection with hepatitis A/E are the most common condition predisposing.
Primarily there are two types Liver Hepatitis. First one Acute Hepatitis – It means a new onset of Hepatitis. Second one Chronic Hepatitis – It means the old Hepatitis that is present for 6 months or more.